After a hectic weekend of children's parties & picnics, a hiatus from cooking would have been a treat. I was just thinking of preparing a simple pasta of parmigiano reggiano (Italian parmesan cheese) & extra virgin olive oil that both my kids love, but my one-year old slept before lunch. When she dozes off at that time, I usually savour the tranquil in the kitchen and enjoy whipping up something without being rushed by hungry kids. I was deliberating whether to stick to my original plan and relax while she's sleeping or devote the only quiet time of the day tiring myself out in the kitchen. I was delirious. I chose the latter. It's because I opened the refrigerator. When I do that, I get stuck. I quickly scanned what contents are in dire need to be eliminated. Nothing. In the freezer, my eyes landed on a piece of recently frozen emergency veal fillet that I had been saving for my one-year old in case I cook something she cannot eat. Then I saw a package of frozen peas. The prospect of getting that rest is shelved.
I put together a risotto of veal & green peas minus the white wine & butter that usually go with the risotti. I was intending to cook an Asian dish by cooking the veal & green peas together with some soy sauce then boil the rice separately. At the last minute, the wind changed its course and I did a risotto instead. I didn't find anything similar in any Italian site so that impelled me more to experiment. I thought it was unusual because peas and meat are normally cooked together. Apparently, not in risotti.
I was more than happy with the result. The parmigiano reggiano (Italian parmesan cheese) gave it a rounder taste. The final verdict though will be given by my two little critics. I waited for any dissents, shoving of the dishes away or any little squeaking that can signify a lament. Silence. Then "gnam-gnam" followed by "buona"! Whew! I got you kids!
Pea & Veal Risotto
- 40 g. veal, ground
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/8 onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup rice
- 2 spoons parmigiano reggiano (Italian parmesan cheese), grated
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups hot vegetable broth
- extra virgin olive oil
- Saute' onions in a small pot. Add veal & green peas. Cook until meat changes color, about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Add rice. Toast for about 5 minutes.
- Add broth little by little. Keep on moving risotto on low fire. Keep on adding the broth until you reach the desired consistency. Season with salt if needed.
- When risotto is cooked, turn off fire, add parmigiano reggiano & drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.