When my 4-year old daughter excitedly tried to catch my attention to show me her find at the vegetable section, I was completely surprised. She was showing me the section of the violet potatoes. Didn't I want them, she asked. I didn't need them at the moment but with such a hopeful question posed to me, I couldn't leave behind the violet potatoes that she so wanted me to buy.
So here I am with a bag of violet potatoes that I don't need, but since my daughter was happy that she was able to help me, I thought that it was already a good reason to work on new recipes using them. My first one is this. It can barely pass as a recipe but just the same, it had been a satisfying brunch and I wanted to share it with you.
I'm a breakfast person even if I am not a morning person. Does that actually make sense to you? I love big breakfasts but I'm not the kind of person you will see dancing with happiness when I open my eyes in the morning. I'm beating around the bush. I just want to say that I'm the grumpy kind. Not until I have my coffee and I am totally awake. Are there actually happy dancing morning people? Oh my, such enthusiasm can scare me back to bed.
The rice can be replaced with toasted bread, depending on how you like to take your carbohydrates. I had some leftover rice in the refrigerator so I used it to make the typical fried rice in the Philippines. It goes perfectly well with the vegetables, bacon & egg. Have a wonderful Sunday!
More breakfast recipes:
Brunch: Rosemary Sausage Skewers, Potato Chorizo Salad and Soft Boiled Egg with Piment d'Espelette & Chives
All-in-One Breakfast Skillet
Yields 1 skillet
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 small violet potatoes (or baby potatoes), halved
- 4 asparagus spears
- 4 strips bacon
- 3 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 egg
- Paprika (optional)
- Over medium heat, in a small skillet (not the one you are serving the breakfast in) with extra virgin olive oil, sautè the garlic until golden then discard it. Add the rice and toss until well coated with the oil, about 2 - 3 minutes, then sprinkle with salt. Turn off the fire. Transfer the rice to a bowl and cover to keep it warm.
- Over medium heat, in the skillet that you are serving the breakfast in, put some extra virgin olive oil. When it's warm cook both sides of the potatoes until tender. Push them to one side of the skillet.
- In the same skillet with the potatoes, add the asparagus and cook until tender. Push them beside the potatoes.
- While waiting for the asparagus to cook, in the skillet where you cooked the rice, fry the bacon until crispy. Discard the excess oil and fat then cook the egg.
- In the skillet with the vegetables, cook both sides of the tomatoes, about 1 minute.
- Still in the skillet with the vegetables, transfer the rice to one corner and the bacon in another corner.
- When the egg is cooked, place it on top of the rice.
- Season the whole skillet salt and pepper. Sprinkle the egg with paprika if using.
- Serve while still hot.