The combination of orange, chocolate & cinnamon is irresistible. While boiling plain white rice for dinner, I thought maybe I can try this combination with rice. So out came another pot to cook a cup of rice with the juice of two oranges and some water. I couldn't decide if I liked the smell of the orange juice at a boiling temperature permeating the kitchen but well, I had to see the end of it. While waiting for the rice to cook, I checked the internet for something similar to what I am doing. I barely found anything, just one but cooked with milk, with the orange zest & chocolate added after. Continuing on, I neutralized the sourness of the oranges with sugar and cinnamon. Then came the Cointreau which added to the sweetness of the rice. When the rice was cooked, it had an intense orangey flavor. I counterbalanced it with a lot of chocolate flakes and the blending came out beautifully.
Orange Rice With Cinnamon & ChocolateIngredients:
- 1/2 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup chocolate flakes
- juice of 2 oranges
- 1 cup water
- 1 - 2 tablespoons white sugar (adjust according to the sweetness of the oranges)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- zest of 1 orange
- knob of butter
- Cointreau (optional)
- Boil the rice with orange juice, sugar & water.
- When it's almost cooked, add a dash of Cointreau and orange zest, leaving some for decorating on the serving plate.
- When cooked, the rice should be very creamy, almost soupy because it will dry up when it cools down.
- Add the knob of butter & chocolate flakes, leaving some for decorating. Mix well. Serve at room temperature.