After coming from the fishmonger and I have four medium (one for each of us) orate or gilt-head sea bream stashed in my thermal bag, this is the first dish that I can think of preparing. I make two versions of this fish dish, both easy and using the same ingredients. One is cooked on the stove in a saucepan while this one is oven-roasted. You can change the kind of fish freely but small to medium whole white fish is the best option over filleted ones for more flavor.
In this oven-roasted version, I also use a few slices of untreated (you don't want those chemicals ending up in your food) lemon to give that slight lemony aroma and I used what fresh herbs I have in my potted garden. You can never go wrong with parsley, thyme and oregano. Whereas for the wild fennel, I added a few stems (don't over do it because it can clash with the other tastes) to give it a hint of flavor. Over all, I loved the flavors that combined together to one beautiful dish celebrating fresh ingredients.
The best thing about it is that my kids eat it. Period. If your kids will eat it too, rejoice, because this Roasted Sea Bream with Tomatoes, Olives and Lemon is one of the healthiest dishes that you can put together in half an hour. Being summer, turning on the oven can double the heat in the kitchen so just cook it in on the stove in a large saucepan. Whatever your choice is, even with the kind of fish, I can assure you that you will enjoy good healthy food in your own house.
More Fish Recipes:
Roasted Sea Bream with Tomatoes, Olives and LemonServes 4
- 4 whole medium sea bream (or similar kind of fish), gutted, cleaned and patted dry
- 300 grams cherry or grape tomatoes, halved or whole (depending on the size)
- 1 untreated lemon, sliced
- 1/3 cup pitted olives
- 2 tablespoons capers, soaked in water for 10 minutes first then drained
- Fresh parsley, oregano, thyme
- 3 - 4 small stems fresh wild fennel (optional)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Rub salt and pepper on the fish.
- On a large baking tray, place the fish, then distribute the tomatoes, lemon slices, olives, capers, and the herbs.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and the wine.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven.
- When cooked, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil again then serve immediately.