Strawberries are still way out of season but I found some in the fruit shop that came from Spain. Well, the Spanish ones are actually out almost all year round anyway. As expected, they're not as tasty as the ones on season but seeing that my son was magnetized to them, I thought of buying more than what he usually eats to make something interesting.
Browsing the internet, I saw some salads with strawberries and feta that looked very interesting. Because I practically have all the ingredients the dish called for, I decided on trying it out. In some recipes I saw, the salad dressing's main highlight is the raspberry vinegar but I didn't have a bottle handy at home. I remember seeing a bottle of raspberry flavored balsamic vinegar in the Dolomites last year. I knew I should have taken one! I did use a bottle of 12-year old Aceto Balsamico Verrazzano (balsamic vinegar) which is very thick & quite sweet that blends perfectly well with strawberries. This is such a simple salad with a rich blend of flavors. A must try! Buon appetito!
Strawberry and Feta Salad
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 serving lettuce
- a handful of fresh strawberries, sliced
- a handful of feta cheese, crumbled
- a handful of toasted almonds (if you have the untoasted ones, put them in a saucepan until they change color)
- In a small bowl, whisk the honey, mustard, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar and white wine vinegar. Set aside.
- Toss the greens, strawberries & toasted almonds.