Nebbiolo nel Cuore IX Edition in Rome: A Focus on the King of Piedmont's Grapes

Nebbiolo nel Cuore is a noteworthy wine event for professionals and enthusiasts as an occasion to interact with the producers and taste their wines. The event celebrated its ninth edition in the capital for two days: 14 and 15 of January 2023 at the Grand Hotel Palatino of Rome. It was another successful affair organized by Riserva Grande thanks to a simple and ambitious mission carried out with determination: the cultural promotion of Nebbiolo and its chosen lands.

Nebbiolo is a native red grape variety of Piedmont used in the production of Roero, Barbaresco and Barolo, Gattinara and Ghemme, Boca and Lessona, Bramaterra and Fara, Sizzano and Valli Ossolane, Colline Novaresi and Coste della Sesia, Valle D'Aosta and Valtellina, Monferrato, Carema and Canavese and the other micro realities scattered throughout the northern Italian territory. Its multiple expressions were presented in the variations of territorial characteristics and vinification. Nebbiolo produces red wines with a distinguishing transparency, can be highly tannic in its youth with and have aromas of stone and roses. As the wine ages, the color of the wine changes to deeper garnet with tawny hues and reveal more complexity in the nose and palate as violets, tar, prunes, cherries, red berries, tobacco, and truffles.

The winning format of Nebbiolo nel Cuore which had been tested edition after edition, has not changed: through tasting tables at the walk-around tasting and specific seminars with guided tastings of chosen representative wines. The novelty in this edition was the presentation of the Vademecum on Nebbiolo, an app about Nebbiolo and its territories. The app is closely linked to the event and provides an overview of Nebbiolo that is easy to use and within the reach of all those who want to learn more about it, in addition to the usual annual appointment at the tasting counters. The app can also be used by travelers who are passionate about Nebbiolo and want to visit the places where wines are produced. To this end, in addition to providing all the information useful for visiting the participating wineries, it will also mention the accommodation facilities (hotels, B&Bs, farmhouses, restaurants, inns, etc.) that can welcome passionate wine tourists wishing to stay in the territory of Nebbiolo.

Masterclass: Le Zone e i Terroirs del Roero (The Zones and Terroirs of Roero)

A horizontal tasting of Roero DOCG coming from various territories conducted by Marco Cum and the respective wine producers:

Cantina Battaglino Colla Roero Riserva DOCG 2016
Cascina Monpissan Karma Roera Riserva 2016
Carlo Casetta Roero DOCG 2020
Bric Castelvej Panera Alta Roero Riserva 2016
Cascina Goregn Roero DOCG 2020
Filippo Gallino Sorano Roero Riserva DOCG 2015
Mario Costa Morinaldo Roero Riserva DOCG 2017
Giacomo Barbero Valmaggiore Roero Riserva DOCG 2017
Careglio Roero Riserva 2017
Cascina Lanzarotti Carlinot Roero Riserva DOCG 2016

The appellation of the red Roero DOCG, recognized in 2005, is for Roero and Roero Riserva which are both made with 100% Nebbiolo grapes or at least 95% with the remaining 5% from non-aromatic red grapes like Barbera cultivated in the same area. Although nowadays, a lot of the wineries produce the Roero wines solely with Nebbiolo. Currently, there are 294 producers.

The geographical position and the composition of the soil distinguishes Roero from its counterpart as Roero is located on the left bank of the Tanaro River while Barolo and Barbaresco are on the right. The area of the left side is varied, coexisting with fruit orchards, woods and vegetable gardens which signifies a richness in biodiversity as opposed to the more monocultural landscape on the right side of the river, where vineyards are more prevalent.

The soils are mainly of marl with a predominant presence of sandstone of marine origin, a good content of limestone, clay and sand which makes the soil loose and confers softness and great permeability. The marine origin of the soils makes them poor in organic matter but rich in mineral salts. From a climatic point of view, Roero is considered a semi-arid area which leaves the hills almost devoid of water. Whereas the Maritime Alps provide significant diurnal temperature variations between day and night. This large gap of high temperatures at daytime and low temperatures at night time which affect the ripening of the grapes in a more balanced way. Warmer daytime temperatures fosters sugar development while cool nights can help reserve aromas and acidity.

Riserva Grande