Merano Wine Festival 2019: The 28th Edition
The 28th edition of Merano Wine Festival concluded on the 12th of November 2019 after a highly successful five-day food and wine event rich in tastings and seminars. This year's edition has seen the participation of 950 producers, 120 producers of culinary products and prominent chefs and most importantly, a total public admission of 11,500 visitors in the five-day festival.
The first edition of Merano Wine Festival was established in 1992 by Helmut Koecher which was the first event in Europe that highlights exclusively the top quality products in a prestigious enogastronomic event held in the city of Merano that has occurred and grown annually ever since. In 2013, he created the Merano Wine and Culinaria Award (which was renamed to Wine Hunter Award in 2017), a grand gastronomic and oenological concourse that attracts more than 5,000 participants annually which results in the highly-esteemed recognition of excellence.
Throughout the duration of the festival, special tastings were held which all wrapped up with very favorable outcomes. The Charity Wine Masterclasses, are vertical tastings of wines of specially selected producers which aim to introduce some unique wines representing their territories, stories and traditions. The proceeds of which go to the Missionary Association of Merano. This year's event includes some epic vertical tastings of Jacopo Biondi Santi from 1997, and the epic vertical tasting of 32 vintages from 1985 of the legendary Sassicaia of Tenuta San Guido.
The Naturae et Purae Bio&Dynamica devoted a full day at the Kurhaus to a selection of organic, natural, biodynamic, orange and PIWI wines. It hosted more than 100 producers with a showcase of more than 200 wines. With the growing interest towards awareness of healthier and responsible production of wines, producers who have embraced this full organic and chemical-free production were able to present to their stories and philosophies to the public. At the same time, the Naturae et Purae Wild Cooking was presented by renowned chefs at the Piazza della Rena focusing on the current trends and techniques in cooking. The Gourmet Arena is a space committed to the some of Italy's finest regions that are particularly rich in gastronomic tradition, culture and history. The Circle is the area dedicated to innovative approach to wine and food trends.
Right on the red carpeted main road of Corso Libertà was the Fuorisalone - Merano WineCitylife, where the city's vibrant life synergized with a rich program of activities outside the main tastings. Tannico was parked its 1960s double decker bus infront of the Kurhaus where it hosted Master Experience tastings of important French and Italian producers. Signorvino instead had its iconic Italian Piaggio Ape hosting a series of tastings as well. One of the most awaited event was the Catwalk Champagne which highlighted the parade of best 34 French houses which were combined with the specialties of 10 culinary producers. Lastly, the interesting tastings at the Pavillion des Fleurs of the distinguished wines of the Chateaux of the Union des Grand Crus de Bordeaux.
The protagonist of the festivals was the two-day tasting of the Official Selection wines at the Kurhaus. It is the result of a year-long process of tasting and assessing Italian and international wines submitted by more than 5,000 participants. At the end of the assessment, the WineHunter tasting panels reward the prestigious WineHunter Award Rosso for a scores obtained between 88 to 88.99, Gold for scores between 90 to 94.99 and Platinum for the highest points between 95 to 100.
The highest recognition of the Merano Wine Festival is the Platinum Award which is accorded to wines that have obtained the maximum rating. Here is the list of this year's winners:
* Kellerei St. Michael Eppan 2016 The Wine Collection Sauvignon Alto Adige - Sudtirol DOC
* Kellerei Tramin 2016 Terminum Vendemmia Tardiva Gewurztraminer Alto Adige - Sudtirol DOC
* Schreckbichl - Colterenzio 2015 Lr Alto Adige - Sydtirol DOC
* Tenuta Alois Lageder 2016 Casòn Bianco Viognier - Petit Manseng Vigneti Delle Dolomiti IGT
* Elena Fucci 2017 Titolo Aglianico Del Vulture DOC
* Paternoster 2015 Rotondo Aglianico Del Vulture DOC
* Galardi 2017 Terra Di Lavoro Campania Rosso IGT
* Alessio Komjanc e Figli 2018 Collio Pinot Bianco DOC
* Nino Negri 2016 Sfursat 5 Stelle Sforzato di Valtellina DOCG
* Braida 2016 Bricco Dell'Uccellone Barbera D'Asti DOCG
* Fenocchio Giacomo 2013 90 Barolo Bussia Riserva DOCG
* Parusso Armando 2015 Barolo Bussia DOCG
* Pio Cesare 2015 Barbaresco DOCG
* Rocche Dei Manzoni 2014 Vigna Cappella di S. Stefano Barolo Perno DOCG
* Passopisciaro 2017 Franchetti Terre Siciliane Rosso IGP
* Castello Di Ama 2016 L'Apparita Toscana IGT
* Duemani 2016 Suisassi Costa Toscana IGP
* Il Marroneto 2013 Madonna Delle Grazie Brunello di Montalcino
* Le Macchiole 2016 Messorio Toscano IGT
* Montevertine 2016 Le Pergole Torte Toscana Rosso IGT
* Ornellaia 2016 Ornellaia Bolgheri Rosso Superiore DOC
* Tenuta Biserno 2016 Biserno Toscana Rosso IGT
* Vecchie Terre di Montefili 2015 Anfiteatro Toscana IGT
* Pojer e Sandri 2016 Merlino VDT
* Carlo Ferragù 2014 Amarone della Valpolicella DOCG
Merano Wine FestivalGourmet’s Inernational
Via Monte Ivigna, 19
39010 Cermes (BZ), Italy
Tel: +39 0473210011