Planning meals for a family of four with different tastes is difficult. Adults are flexible but kids can become too choosy and can easily break into tantrums. For this reason, our family dinners are frequently chaotic, never silent and often concluded with teary-eyed faces. Care to join us for dinner?
There are times when I cook different kinds of food for each member of the family. You can imagine how busy that makes me whipping up dinner in the kitchen. By principle, I am totally against it because I believe that the family eats together what is served on the table. That's how I was brought up and that's how I would like my children to grow up too. But I just wave the white flag when I don't want to fight disciplining the kids and just join the flow. Physical stress is far better than mental stress.
When I saw Monica Bianchessi preparing this panino in her show, Pronto in Tavola, I was ecstatic! A sandwich like this for dinner will definitely give our dinner table the peace that my husband and I always hope for. It only happens when there is a favorite food on the table. A chance to cook something new gives me hope that I will be able to add it to the list of recipes to keep for the kids. I was not sure about the peperoni (capsicum/pepper) but I was sure that the sautéed bistecca (beefsteak) slices marinated in soy sauce & lemon and eaten like a sandwich would win the kids' palates without a doubt.
Let me lead you to the recipe and I hope you enjoy this recipe like we all did. If you have little fussy eaters at home, maybe this can also do the trick.
Panino con Fettine di Bistecca e Peperoni
Fills up 1 whole baguette
Serves 2 - 4
- 400 g. beefsteak, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + extra for sautéing
- sesame seeds
- 1 capsicum or bell pepper, seeded & sliced into strips
- salad leaves
- Mix soy sauce & lemon in a small bowl. Adjust the amount of lemon according to your taste. Sprinkle with pepper & sesame seeds. Mix in 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Mix.
- Put beef in a bowl. Pour marinade in the bowl then coat beef well. Let it rest for at least 1/2 hour.
- Meanwhile, cut baguette in the middle to have two pieces. Then slice each piece horizontally to prepare them for the filling. Excavate a bit the middle part to give room for the filling. See picture above. Set aside.
- Sauté pepper in a pan with little oil. Cook until slightly brown.
- Mix in marinated beef. Sauté along with the pepper. Continue cooking until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Scatter some salad leaves on one bread. Put the sautéed beef & pepper on it. Close the sandwich with the other half of the baguette. Do the same with the remaining ingredients.
- Serve while still hot.