What am I doing? It's freezing outside and I am cooling myself more with ice cream? Our ice cream consumption is not seasonal at home. Even if it is below zero outside, my kids still clamor for some ice cream. It's contagious. My husband and I can't help ourselves from grabbing our own bowls too. The secret society of winter ice cream consumers convene.
One of the simplest and best coffee dessert is affogato al caffe' (drowned in coffee). Basically, you only need two ingredients, ice cream and espresso. If you have just those two, go ahead and drown your ice cream with the coffee and enjoy this delicious combination. You can frill it up with whipped cream, chocolate flakes, and cinnamon powder. Spike it with rum or brandy or any suitable liqueur. You then have a serious affogato al caffe' that needs your attention.
And tell me how good it is. Enjoy!
Affogato al CaffèIngredients:
Yields 1 serving
- 1 small cup of espresso
- 1 - 2 scoops fior di latte or vanilla ice cream
- cinnamon powder (optional)
- chocolate flakes (optional)
- mini amaretti cookies (optional)
- whipped cream
- Put the scoops of ice cream in a glass.
- Pour the hot espresso on top. If you don't want your ice cream to melt immediately, wait for your coffee to cool down a bit before pouring.
- Top with whipped cream, chocolate flakes, cinnamon powder or mini amaretti cookies.
- Serve immediately.