Vegetables cooked in a saucepan is the literal translation of verdure in padella. I was asked to post more Italian vegetable dishes so here is an example of a very simple and classic cooked vegetables. The vegetables vary according to season and of course, whatever you have available in the kitchen. No rules, really. Just dump those beautiful, fresh veggies you have and cook away.
Most vegetable shops sell packs of mixed diced vegetables for cooking in a saucepan, but just a tad more expensive. I buy them voluntarily because you just rinse them in running water, dump them in the saucepan with extra virgin olive oil and forget about them for the next half an hour. End result is a very healthy and delicious vegetable dish that can be a side dish to practically anything.
I have been seeing these packages of mixed diced vegetables but never gave them a second look because I like selecting & chopping my own veggies. I should have given them a chance before because they really are practical & easy to cook. No leftover raw veggies & no dicing, which takes so much time.
It's the farmer/vegetable seller herself who told me to just put all the diced vegetables that already include onions & tomatoes into a saucepan with extra virgin oil and cook for about half an hour. It's one of the simplest and best advice I got in cooking. It's kid friendly too. My two vegetable fussy eaters ate them with only a slight noise of complaints.
Verdure in Padella (Mixed Vegetables)Ingredients:
- 2 zucchini. diced leaving the skin on
- 4 - 5 medium tomatoes (I used datterini tomatoes which are small, about 8 pcs.), quartered
- 1 big white onion, sliced
- 300 g. fagioli corallo or Italian flat beans, chopped, the same size as the other vegetables
- 2 big potatoes, diced
- 200 g. squash, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup or 250 ml. water
- Warm up a big saucepan with extra virgin olive oil.
- Put all the vegetables in the saucepan plus the water.
- Cook for about half an hour or until vegetables are cooked through. Stir once in a while to avoid sticking to the pan.
- Season with salt & pepper.