I am the last person on earth who would buy anything heart-shaped, and even red for that matter. I am not a Valentine nemesis. I am just not into them. I might consider pastel colored hearts made of wood. A country-style look is always irresistibly cute. So, I surprised myself when I grabbed this red heart-shaped bowl from the shop. I didn't even think twice about buying it. I think I am getting old. All my life I have turned my back on red hearts and now reaching my 4th decade, I was to be found in a shop holding the only thing I wouldn't even think of looking at. A red heart-shaped bowl. P.S. I find it beautiful.
The last time we had a family trip to the supermarket, my son was insistent that I get some avocados. The avocados didn't look so great so I explained it to a disappointed 6-year old. "Next time I find good ones, I'll buy you some", I promised. I wondered how he suddenly liked avocados when the last time I prepared it, I remembered that he negated all my proddings for a little taste. He didn't like it and that was more than a year ago. Children. I think I need a crash course on effective parenting.
I love avocados but there is only one recipe I know. Mashed and mixed with milk & sugar. I didn't feel like being limited again to the singular recipe I grew up with. I wanted something salty this time and I needed to come up with a side dish for the salmon I was grilling. Checking out the meager contents of my vegetable drawer, I was able to take out some datterini tomatoes & spring onions. That should do. Drizzled with aged balsamic vinegar & balsamic vinegar flavored with raspberries sealed this salad with a smack in the lips. Buonissima!
We enjoyed this with the grilled salmon. From now on, I will be making this salad often and I would like to pair it with other kinds of food. If ever you try it as a side dish to something else, let me know. Thanks!
Avocado, Tomato & Spring Onion Salad
- 2 avocados, peeled, stoned & diced
- 1 sprig spring onion, chopped or julienned
- 100 g. datterini tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes), halved
- aged balsamic vinegar
- balsamic vinegar flavored with raspberries (Or any vinegar really like white wine, red wine, apple cider. I added this vinegar to make the vinaigrette more sour. If you are fine with just the balsamic vinegar, you can omit this.)
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Drizzle with vinegar & sprinkle with salt.
- Serve alone or as a side dish. It goes well with grilled salmon.