I know that just a few days ago I came out with the banana, oat & almond smoothie. This frutti di bosco (or mixed berries) smoothie is actually the same as that one, using different fruits. I bought some little trays of raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and blueberries the other day and for some strange reason, the kids didn't deplete them completely. They usually can't get enough of them and however much I buy, they always disappear fast. So leftovers are a rarity.
I decided to prepare a smoothie that afternoon and willed myself to sit down and relax in the kitchen. I didn't sit long enough when I was in front of the blender again preparing another big glass. It was addictive. But I would drink as much as I can because it's one of the healthiest drinks that ever graced my kitchen. Blueberries have the highest antioxidant level among all fruits and vegetables and oats have a rich fiber content that helps lower blood cholesterol.
If you know me by now, I love the natural colors of food. So when that blender finished whirring, and gave me this beautiful violet concoction, I just had to photograph them. So here it is, an almost repeat of another blog post but nonetheless aesthetically pleasing.
Frutti di Bosco, Oat & Almond SmoothieIngredients:
Makes 1 glass
- 1/4 cup frutti di bosco (mixed berries), frozen or fresh
- 1 cup (or more) almond milk (or regular milk)
- 2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
- lingonberry concentrate to sweeten (or honey), if almond milk is unsweetened
- Grind the oats to an almost powdery consistency if your blender can.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.