There are times when I am seriously pressed for time that the most logical thing to do is whip up something quick and easy but keeping in mind to retain the healthy aspect of the meal. This is one of the quick & easy meals that I love preparing at times like this. I usually have the ingredients except for the avocado but smoked salmon, eggs and bread are quite staple in our house.
Sometimes, I do grab some junk food too that I keep for emergency cases and I give myself the privilege of being a couch potato in front of the TV even for a few minutes on one of the rare moments when the kids are not around.
There are three variations that I usually prepare. The crostini are still my favorite but sometimes a big plate of the salad version can be an easier option. The rolls look more presentable when served as an appetizer to guests.
At home, in the silence of just a couple out of twenty shrieking and running kids left, my husband and I ate our crostini without uttering any word. It's useless, our eardrums were still resonating the 100 decibels from the party.
Avocado, Salmon & Egg Crostini
- 1 avocado, peeled, stoned & diced
- 100 g. smoked salmon, sliced into strips
- 2 eggs
- 50 ml. milk
- chives, chopped finely (optional)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- 4 slices of bread
- Toast bread slices on a stovetop griddle or in a toaster.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs with a pinch of salt, milk & chives.
- Prepare a saucepan with little extra virgin olive oil. When it's hot, pour egg mixture. Cook. Turn off fire when it's still a bit runny & undercooked. It will keep on cooking even if the fire is already off.
- Put the scrambled eggs on top of the bread. Put some diced avocado. Put a slice or two of salmon. Squeeze some lemon juice on top of the salmon. Sprinkle with chopped chives.