After a delectable meal, there's nothing more agreeable than to conclude it with an equally delicious dessert. I think I am not alone on that. It is an integral part of a meal, that if well-orchestrated, gives the conclusive effect on the whole eating experience. The "run away there's cream in it" in me can even forget about desserts drowned in cream as long as the final piece to the gastronomic picture is scrumptious too.
On a daily basis at home, I rarely prepare desserts because we usually stop at the fruits after a meal. I only prepare this course when I cook an elaborate dinner. So, after a labor-intensive, but rewarding dinner, I served this
cream with dessert dessert with
cream. Maybe I am finally letting my hair down with all this dairy
constraint hang up, but yes, I did eat a whole bowl of this scrumptious
It's a mixture of mascarpone and cream (I did use the lightest one I could find at the supermarket!) doused with amarena syrup, which probably did the trick. The coffee and chocolates counterbalanced the intensity of the amarena. How can I describe it? Close your eyes and imagine amarena with espresso, brandy and chocolates. Lovely.
|Amarena by Fabbri|
Amarena Mascarpone Trifle
Yields 4 individual servings (depending on the size of the bowls)
- 250 grams mascarpone
- 200 grams light cream (or any cream)
- 100 grams savoiardi biscuits or ladyfingers
- 3 - 4 espresso servings preferably prepared in a moka pot
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 3 tablespoons chocolate shavings or chips + some for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup amarena syrup
- 3 tablespoons amarena cherries, chopped finely + some for sprinkling
- Prepare the espresso in a moka pot. Prepare enough coffee for 3 - 4 servings. Let it cool. Mix in the brandy and sugar. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix the mascarpone, light cream, amarena syrup, chopped amarena cherries & chocolate chips.
- Prepare the individual bowls. Dip the savoiardi biscuits in the coffee mixture, just long enough to absorb the liquid but not too long that they become soggy. Layer them on the bottom of the bowls. Cut them to pieces if you have to, to make them fit.
- Spoon the mascarpone mixture on top of the savoiardi. Cover the savoiardi. Repeat the layering again.
- The last layer should be the mascarpone mixture. Sprinkle some chocolate chips & chopped amarena.
- Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.