Here's a brief intermission from my violet potatoes before I tackle them again. Last time I checked, smoked salmon was in the list of "edible foods" of my five-year old. When I served these, I found out that his smoked salmon days were over. He moved on to the fresh version. Talk about fickle-mindedness. Soon I will have to refer to him as the six-year old. He is already preparing to add another finger to his five finger demonstration of his age. When I do that to him when he asks how old I am, I get tired flashing both hands so many times that his eyes bulge out with a beaten expression. "Mommy, you just beat me with the age." Dear child, if you only how nice it is to still be able to count your age with your fingers without using them more than once.
Yes, I was just going back to the salmon. This is a very simple and straightforward idea for an appetizer. A looker but no big surprises tastewise. What you see is what you get. In the recipe, I wrote that the minced salmon is to be mixed with the minced chives & lemon. The ones I prepared don't have any chives mixed with the salmon because my husband has a perplexing relationship with garlic, onions and their relatives. He gets derailed when he needs to buy any of them. "Who, me? Why? Are you sure? Do I have to? Is it important?" That's his sure-fail way to weasel his way out of buying them. Imagine this. He uses the disposable gloves to get them from the racks, dumps them straight to a plastic bag and wraps them well with two bags to try to eradicate the smell. He holds them only with the tips of his thumb & pointing finger, with the gloves on. Oh dear.
Palm & Smoked Salmon LayersIngredients:
- 100 grams smoked salmon
- 6 palm heart sticks
- 1/2 to 1 lemon, juice
- chives, minced
- round food shaper with the same diameter as the palm heart sticks
- Cut the palm heart sticks to 1 inch discs. Set aside.
- Mince the smoked salmon. Mix it in a bowl with the lemon juice & chives. Use the amount of lemon according to your taste.
- Place one palm heart disc flat on a plate. Put the food shaper on top of it and put a small amount of minced salmon mixture in it. Press a bit to maintain the shape. Take away the food shaper slowly.
- Place one caper and a small piece of chive on top. Press them lightly on the salmon so that they don't roll off easily.
- Repeat until you finish all the other ingredients.