Oftentimes, I find myself stuck with a substantial amount of leftover boiled potatoes. Cooked potatoes don't really last long so I have to hasten any exploration of possibilities. I had been hovering on the idea of doing potato pancakes. Gosh, there are a lot of ideas online! It's a traditional plate of Germany and other Eastern European countries. Problem is, they are made with grated uncooked potatoes so I was already at a bad start. I was on my own. Leftover mashed potato pancakes can be done though as I searched on. That's good enough for me.
Composing the pancakes on the saucepan was a bit tricky because I started with a regular-sized pancake with the help of a round food shaper. When I thought it was ready to be turned, it went to every direction except on top of my metal spatula! So I went from big to small. It was more manageable to turn.
I accompanied these pancakes with blue cheese sauce as it lifts the taste pretty well. Normally, I would use gorgonzola but I recently bought some German Bergader Edelpilz to try. It's crumbly, piquant and equally delicious. If I may say it, watch out, these pancakes with the blue cheese sauce can be addictive. You won't stop munching until your hands are restrained.
Mashed Vitelotte Potato & Pistachio Pancakes with Blue Cheese SauceIngredients:
- 2 cups boiled mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons ground pistachios
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 100 grams cream
- 50 grams blue cheese, crumbled (I used the German Bergader Edelpilz.)
- chives, minced
- Mix in a bowl the following: mashed potatoes, eggs, flour, milk, pistachios, salt & pepper.
- In a non-stick pan, heat some extra virgin olive oil. When it's warm, put a spoonful of the potato mixture on the pan. If you have a metal food shaper, put it on the pan and the potato mixture inside it. Cook both sides. Repeat until you finish the potato mixture.
- In a small cooking pot, put together the crumbled blue cheese, cream and chives. Cook over low flame until the cheese blends with the cream. Stir often to avoid sticking to the pan.
- Serve the pancakes with the blue cheese sauce.