Oftentimes, I find myself stuck with a substantial amount of leftover boiled potatoes. Cooked potatoes don't really last long so I have to hasten any exploration of possibilities. I had been hovering on the idea of doing potato pancakes. Gosh, there are a lot of ideas online! It's a traditional plate of Germany and other Eastern European countries. Problem is, they are made with grated uncooked potatoes so I was already at a bad start. I was on my own. Leftover mashed potato pancakes can be done though as I searched on. That's good enough for me.
Composing the pancakes on the saucepan was a bit tricky because I started with a regular-sized pancake with the help of a round food shaper. When I thought it was ready to be turned, it went to every direction except on top of my metal spatula! So I went from big to small. It was more manageable to turn.
I accompanied these pancakes with blue cheese sauce as it lifts the taste pretty well. Normally, I would use gorgonzola but I recently bought some German Bergader Edelpilz to try. It's crumbly, piquant and equally delicious. If I may say it, watch out, these pancakes with the blue cheese sauce can be addictive. You won't stop munching until your hands are restrained.
Mashed Vitelotte Potato & Pistachio Pancakes with Blue Cheese Sauce
- 2 cups boiled mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp. ground pistachios
- salt & pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- 100 g. cream
- 50 g. blue cheese, crumbled (I used the German Bergader Edelpilz.)
- chives, minced
- Mix in a bowl the following: mashed potatoes, eggs, flour, milk, pistachios, salt & pepper.
- In a non-stick pan, heat some extra virgin olive oil. When it's warm, put a spoonful of the potato mixture on the pan. If you have a metal food shaper, put it on the pan and the potato mixture inside it. Cook both sides. Repeat until you finish the potato mixture.
- In a small cooking pot, put together crumbled blue cheese, cream and chives. Cook over low flame until the cheese blends with the cream. Stir often to avoid sticking to the pan.
- Serve the pancakes with the blue cheese sauce.