When these green spears start their public appearance, I am one of the first grabbers in the market. I love asparagus and they have a designated permanency in our annual spring menu. I enjoy eating them steamed, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and sprinkled with salt. Simple, plain and healthy.
This time, I thought of dressing them up a bit more than the usual steaming. I took out my reliable griddle and roasted them. Then I topped them with fresh tomatoes & chives. I finished the opened packages of smoked salmon & palm heart that have been resting inside my fridge. A sprinkling of salt & poppy seeds then drizzling with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil completed this delightful spring salad.
Roasted Asparagus & Salmon Salad
- 250 g. asparagus, tough ends cut
- 8 - 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 - 5 palm hearts or palmito, cut into round slices
- 2 slices of smoked salmon
- 2 sprigs of chives, chopped finely
- balsamic vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- poppy seeds (optional)
- Cut tough ends of asparagus.
- Drizzle stove top griddle with extra virgin olive oil. Wipe away excess oil with a kitchen paper towel. Sprinkle with salt. When it is already hot, put the asparagus spears. Roast until tender.
- Arrange asparagus on a plate. Add tomatoes, palm heart, salmon & chives. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with salt & poppy seeds.