Nuts, fruit, liquor & meat are the ingredients that I like putting together. If you have a propensity for eating food with contrasting flavors, then we will both agree that this plate is one of the examples of fruit & meat combination that is scrumptious. It goes without saying that this dish will have future reappearances in my kitchen. Everyone loved it.
This idea sprouted after the chicken & mandarin dish I recently did. If mandarin goes well with chicken then its cousin can surely harmonize with meat too.
Veal Fillet With Macadamia Nuts, Orange & BrandyIngredients:
- 400 grams veal fillet
- 1/8 cup macadamia nuts, crushed
- 1 orange, wedged
- 1 teaspoon honey
- extra virgin olive oil
- 30 grams pancetta affumicata (smoked pancetta), diced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- salt & pepper
- Crush the thyme & macadamia nuts in a mortar & pestle. Mix about a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil to make it creamy. Set aside.
- Sautè the veal in a saucepan with just enough olive oil to avoid sticking to the pan. Brown both sides on medium flame. Set aside.
- In the same pan used for sautèeing the veal, add some more oil. Sautè the shallot and diced pancetta.
- When they turn golden brown, add the orange wedges. Press them down a bit to make the juice come out.
- Add the honey & the macadamia - thyme mixture. Amalgamate for about 5 minutes. Put back the veal.
- Add a dash of brandy on high flame. Put it back down to medium when the alcohol evaporates. Cook for another 10 minutes.