I made this dessert the same night I prepared the spinach rolls with ricotta & pistachios, with the singular aim to deplete the remnants of my lasagna noodles. Just the colors of both kinds of changed. The dinner was slightly diverting when I served one dish after the other with different colored rolls, one, salty & the other, sweet. I broke the redundancy with meat as the main course. I think if I didn't, I would have an uprising in my very own kitchen table.
The procedure is identical to the spinach rolls, minus the sautèing. Very easy and fast. It just depends on how long the water will boil to cook the lasagna noodles.
Originally, I had been making this ricotta & cinnamon mixture with crepes. It's a recipe that I got from an Italian cooking show years ago. I am not a big enthusiast of ricotta but my husband is. This was one of his & our friends' favorite desserts that I had been doing a lot but over time, just remained forgotten.
If you want this recipe in crepe form, here's how to do it. Cut the crepes in the middle, fill up the middle part with the ricotta-cinnamon-brown sugar mixture, then fold both sides. One whole crepe can be too big. Line them up on a butter-greased baking pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar & cinnamon and scatter some knobs of butter on top of the crepes. Bake for 15 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius or until they turn brownish.
Ricotta Rolls With Cinnamon & ChocolateIngredients:
- 2 cups ricotta
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 2 tablespoons fine sugar
- 2 lasagna noodles
- 2 tablespoons chocolate flakes
- Boil some water in a pot for the lasagna.
- Meantime, in a bowl, mix the ricotta, cinnamon & sugar.
- When the water in the pot boils, add the lasagna noodles following the packet's instructions as to the number of minutes. If it's not indicated, do it by eye, say 5 - 6 minutes or when you see that the noodles are soft.
- Lay one lasagna noodle on a clean plate. Pat dry with a kitchen paper towel.
- Spread the ricotta mixture on the lasagna noodle and roll until the end.
- Using a sharp knife and with great care, make some slices of about 2 cm. each or whatever thickness you prefer. Do the same with the rest of the ingredients.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon powder & chocolate flakes.